A lot of people dream of their wedding day starting when they are little girls playing dress up with their friends. A common thread to all wedding day dreams is a wonderful groom, your family and friends, the perfect dress and an amazing location.
Although many destinations may be considered throughout the wedding planning process, here are a few you may not have considered that are right in our backyard. These locations offer everything to delight the avid sightseer to the laid back lounge types.
This charming town is full of history, fun and romance, and with over 200 events a year, you can guarantee you can always find something occupy your guests and your free time (maybe after the wedding!) from ghost tours to gourmet dining. Savannah makes the perfect place for a destination wedding with the picturesque scenery, beautiful architecture and tended gardens.
New England is a beautiful area and is a unique destination spot offering a mix of relaxing to engaging activities, and attractions from brewery tours to Lake Champlain Cruises. This location also offers a truly different experience depending on the season – create your own theme: a wonderful winter escape, a spring or summer gala, or a fabulous fall fête.
From theatre to sports, Chicago is a place where you can find it all. Perfect for a spring or summer soiree, use the city as your backdrop and create your own scene. Choose from a variety of venues from the historic Patrick C. Haley Mansion to the magnificent Galleria Marchetti. For your guests, Chicago boasts activities from festivals, art, music, and theatre and is sure to entertain.
California offers a variety of great destination spots from the north to the south; and driving along the California coast is definitely gorgeous, but a true wedding gem lies in Napa Valley. Wine Country offers a beautiful locale filled with cozy bed and breakfasts, world famous wineries, and stunning scenery.
NOLA offers an astounding variety of wedding venues and amazing day trip opportunities. This historic city is home to live jazz, the French Quarter, Garden District Mansions, and rooftop terraces overlooking the city perfect for parties or people watching.
Destination weddings involve planning and preparation, but are sure to be memorable! Here are some helpful tips when planning your destination event:
- Decide on a location that fits your needs, your style, and your budget.
- Be sure to book early; popular destination spots book well in advance and are sure to fill up fast.
- Take a trip and see for yourself. You want to scout out all potential wedding-related venues as well as the ceremony & reception site(s).
- Send out your save-the-dates and destination wedding invitations early! Especially with destination weddings, you want to give your guests advanced notice of your upcoming event.
- Look into local venues for use of their services as far as flowers, decorations, styling, and more! Make sure to keep a positive relationship and send a thank you note!
- Consider planning a wedding & honeymoon combination. Having only one place to scout out and plan for saves time, energy and money! It also allows you and your new husband to relax with each other and family and friends after the big event.
Keep these tips in mind when planning for a sensational, stress-free destination wedding. Let the planning begin!